It is important that you read and re-read this page before you consider undergoing this surgery.
This surgery is a very simple procedure which is done can be done in the office under local anesthesia. The procedure will be at the office, unless it is done together with another Plastic Surgery.
This surgery corrects the smile that shows a significant portion of the gums as well as all the anterior upper teeth.
The duration for this procedure is approximatly 30 minutes. Patients are discharged once the process is done. The recovery time is about 7 days, but the final improvement of gummy smile can take two to three months to become evident.
This procedure is not indicated in cases of excessive maxillary protrusion (bulging).
Below are some important pointers regarding “before and after” tips for this procedure:
1. Do not take aspirin or aspirin products for 2 to 3 weeks prior to surgery. (Click Non recommended Medicines for more information.)
2. For three consecutive nights before surgery wash the entire face, including your ears,with Isodine foam (Betadine in the US) shampoo. Your pharmacist may suggest an alternative product if you are unable to find it.
3. Do not eat food or drink any fluids after 12 AM the night before surgery.
4. Thorougly rinse your mouth with Scope mouthwash 24 hours prior to the procedure and again 12 hours later.
Go directly home and remain at rest for 24 to 48 hours. Rest and sleep on your back not on your side.
2. You may get up to use the toilet and for meals only.
3.The first day at home you should take sips of fluids, gradually increasing to a soft diet. If you do not have nausea, you can eat normally.
4. Take your medicine as directed. You cannot drink alcohol during this treatment.
5. Do not touch your lips or apply pressure to the gums with your tongue.
6. Avoid the sun, hot meals, hot baths and hot environments for a week.
7. Avoid hard and spicy foods as well as hot foods and beverages.
To view some cases of this surgery click Photo Gallery.
Any questions before and after your surgery may be answered in person by calling the office, 684-2551 (US: 619-730-1917) or my cell 664-283-0976 or click Contact us for more information.
I wish you an excellent experience in Plastic Surgery and a speedy recovery.